BBQ smokers shouldn't be packed away for special occasions. Here at BBQ Island, we love that smoky flavor on everyday foods, too. Here’s a look at the ingredients for a delicious sandwich that's perfect for a weekend lunch with the family. Follow us to join in on the food journey from prep to plating as we take you through our favorite #BBQislandRecipes, starting with this incredible BBQ treat.
Reverse Seared Tri-tip Sandwich With Chipotle Mayo
- 1 Tri-tip (also known as triangle steak)
- 1/4 cup Three Little Pigs Memphis Style BBQ Rub
- 1 Tbsp. Original Slavo All-Purpose Seasoning
- Baguette or another favorite sandwich roll
- 1 7-oz. can chipotles in adobo sauce
- Sliced Havarti cheese
- To make the chipotle mayo, open the can of chipotles and use a fork to mash them. Add mayo a dollop at a time and stir until the mix has a creamy consistency. For a milder condiment, just add more mayo. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Rub tri-tip with seasoning and set aside to absorb flavor.
- Heat your Green Mountain Grill BBQ smoker to 200-225 degrees using the pellets of your choice.
- Place tri-tip on your BBQ smoker and cook until internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees.
- As the meat cooks, heat a large skillet on your Lynx gas grill. When the smoking phase is complete, sear the tri-tip to brown the surface and seal in the juices.
- Once seared to a rich brown, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting into 1/4-inch slices.
- To build your sandwich, slice the baguette lengthwise and spread chipotle mayo on both sides. Add meat, cheese and arugula. Replace the top of the baguette and enjoy!
Of course, if you do decide to save this amazing sandwich for a special occasion, a big tri-tip will make a lot of sandwiches to share — and show off your grill skills! We recommend plating the sandwich with a side of grilled corn on the cob garnished with butter, salt and pepper. A side salad of leftover arugula and baby spinach will tie the whole meal together. This is hearty, tasty fare that will wow your friends — without causing you to break a sweat!