Posted by Administrator on 4/2/2012
Perfect smoked chicken with bite through skin. Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 2 Hours Yield: 8 Servings
- 8 Skin on chicken thighs
- Rub: Bam Bam’s Pick - Butchers BBQ Honey Rub
- Sauce: Bam Bam’s Pick - Butchers BBQ Sweet Sauce
- Stick of unsalted butter
- Tin Foil
- Disposable aluminum pan
- Spray bottle with apple juice
- Pigtail food flipper
- Wood chunks or pellets: Bam Bam’s Pick - Apple
- Preheat smoker to 275. Now its time to trim. Just trim some of the excess skin and fat off the thighs until you are left with fairly organized rectangles. I like to place them in disposable aluminum pans. It does not matter what size pan you use, just make sure that the chicken thighs fit flat into the pan. Don’t try to squeeze to many in. At the bottom of the pan place about a ½ TBS of Butter where each chicken thigh will sit. Now place your chicken thighs into the pan skin side down and season the backside (exposed) of the thighs with your rub. Now cover the pan with foil and place in your cooker for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken (leave covered) and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Now with your pig tail flipper, pull the thighs and season with your rub. Now place the thighs skin side up directly on the smoker. Add ONE large chunk of apple wood to your coals, if you use pellets or on offset just do what you are doing ;). Chicken can EASILY become over smoked, so when in doubt, use less! Leave the thighs on the smoker for 45 minutes.
- While your thighs are cooking, heat up your sauce. I like to thin my sauce for chicken, I generally will cut in some apple juice, and butter but you don’t have to. Once the 45 minutes passes, take your hot pot of sauce and your Pigtail Food Flipper out to the smoker and one by one with your flipper, dunk each thigh into the sauce and place back on the smoker. This is the pretty way to do it. No finger smudges or messes. Allow the sauce to caramelize on the chicken thighs for about ten minutes. Now pull the chicken thighs, serve and enjoy!
How to make Pulled Pork Enchiladas
Bam Bam's Pork Butt Recipe
Bam Bam's Spare Rib Recipe
My Introduction to Competition BBQ
Bam Bam's Smoked Chicken Recipe
Bam Bam's Beef Brisket Recipe
Lotta Bull BBQ Class Review
BBQ Island Intro to Competition BBQ Clinic - Saturday March 10th
How to Light a Weber Smokey Mountain.